Textual Origins of the Indefinite Article in Swedish
- Dominika Maria Skrzypek
The present paper studies the earliest stages of the grammaticalization of indefinite article in Old Swedish. The study is based on a corpus of Old Swedish texts and uses the model of grammaticalization as proposed by Heine 1997. The article en, etymologically related to the numeral ‘one’, is first used to mark new and salient discourse-referents and its primary function is cataphoric. However, en only fulfills this function when ocurring in a sentenceinitial subject NP. In the course of the grammaticalization, neither the sentence-initial position nor the subject function of the NP are required to present new and salient discourse referents.
- Record ID
- Journal series
- Folia Scandinavica Posnaniensia, ISSN 1230-4786, e-ISSN 2299-6885
- Issue year
- Publication size in sheets
- Keywords in English
- indefiniteness, indefinite article, grammaticalization, language change, Swedish
- DOI:10.2478/fsp-2013-0003 opening in a new tab
- en English
- Score (nominal)
- Score source
- Uniform Resource Identifier
* presented citation count is obtained through Internet information analysis and it is close to the number calculated by the Publish or Perishopening in a new tab system.